Those three words!

It was when I did not even have the least hope of getting myself into a good job. I was roughly moving with no idea of what was happening then!
On that particular day, Dad called me,
"You have got a good news, call letter for an Interview!"
"Interview Call letter? From where?", I exclaimed.
"For who cleared the Assistant Manager cadre - Written exam for Karur Vysya Bank!".
I was on cloud nine. Because till then, I had got Interview call e-Mails, that too were only from spammers. I started imagining myself in the Assistant Manager seat of Karur Vysya Bank, signing and sealing the documents, and floating in a pool of Pubic money!
"Dhinesh! Are you following me? Interview is on next Friday! Get prepared!", dad shouted.
"Okay dad! I will start working towards it from today", I firmly held the mobile off, with a confident hope of getting to the position. 
I started moving to my apartment, which was a '2 Bedroom, a Hall and a Kitchen' - setup, shared by five of us. My colleagues were uniquely different from each other. But we shared a common ray of understanding with each other, that made us move hassle-free! 
When I entered my apartment, I found my nerves tight and firm that wanted me to work hard for the interview next week. I changed to my usual nightwear and sat down to browse something for the interview. One of my colleagues came shouting, 
"Hey did you see? The trailer of upcoming movie 'I' is released yesterday!", and ordered me, "Come on. Open YouTube!"
I could find my nerves loosening my body. I could see my fingers typing w-w-w-y-o-u-t-u-b-e-c-o-m!
And the night went happily with YouTube.
The same continued till the day before my Interview came. I was travelling to Karur Head office without even knowing how am I going to answer their Banking related questions! The only satisfaction was the elligibility for the cadre. Yes, its B.E./B.Tech only ! So, probably every person will come like me only, I convinced myself.
I reached the office on 9:30 a.m. I was half an hour late. I found that the entire auditorium was filled with people, and definitely yes, everyone was an Engineer! To make it sound obvious, 'a failed Engineer'! Certificate verification was going on. I went there to submit my certificates and settled back in the last row, thanks to my last token.
I was watching people moving for the interview process. Nearly seventy to eighty people were there for the interview. I started observing everyone. Some of them were very professionally dressed and they were really looking like Managers of Karur Vysya Bank. I thought of listening to what those professional people in my previous row were discussing about. I gently leaned to the front.
"Hey, why do these banks insist on KYC nowadays?"
I was barely thinking, "What KYC? May be some New 'Kentucky Yolked Chicken'? But why do banks insist on that?"
Someone said, "This 'Know Your Customer' norms are getting very serious nowadays that they want us to know about the details of customer, so that the bank can help them easily!" and the group cheered up, "Yeah, you are right!"
I was exclaiming to myself, "I have been such an idiot till now! Mistaking 'Know Your Customer' for 'Kentucky Yolked Chicken'!".
Some people were trying to get some soft corner with the employees of the office. And one such person came near me and told, "Shit! Only three people are going to be selected today!".
I asked, "From this entire crowd?"
"Yes".
Everyone started preparing more rigorously, to be one among the three. I started preparing how to travel to Chennai after the interview is over. 
The time was 5:00 p.m. And I was sitting outside the interview hall, with two more persons. Both of them were working already in Karur Vysya Bank as Clerks, and that they have decided to get to a higher level. One of them told there would be some preferences for them as they are their current employees. "Oh", I showed no reaction to him. I started checking Goibibo.com in my smartphone. 
After a few minutes, I was sitting in front of two professionally dressed persons, similar to the persons who were talking about KYC. I was the last person left over for the interview! I thought to myself, "Three would have already been selected!" 
And the interview was a complete entertainment! They asked something and I replied some non-sense things! He asked me why I decided to take Banking. 
And I answered, "because I love 'Numbers' and 'Computers'."
He nodded and said, "Yeah, of course, I too love Numbers!".
"And that's why you are here, sir, in Banking!".
He laughed and then asked, "Why do you want to join a bank after a Mechanical Engineering degree?".
"Because I did not get a job with that degree and I hope Banking provides a good salary".
"So you think salary is your major concern".
"Yes sir, of course, its salary that concerns. The practical and the real concern for everyone, including me."
The conversation went on. And I came out after 25 minutes.
And two days later, I got an e-mail stating, "Dear Dhinesh Panneer, You have been provisionally selected for the post of Assistant Manager in Karur Vysya Bank."
And I was overwhelmed! Now I have a job that will yield me a decent income throughout my life! 
After that amazing day was over, a few questions started budding out of my mind, 
"Is this job suitable for you?" 
"Is it okay to work in a bank?"
" Even if I have not done my MBA, I would have got this job. Then why the hell did I waste these 2 years in an MBA?" 
But later, my inner voice shouted three words at me. And I was satisfied!
Those three words were:
 "Salary - Status - Security"

2 comments: